Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Packing the kids school lunches

My kids use to buy lunch at school but my daughter frequently said it wasn't enough for her, she was still hungry. (she's in a growing stage and has quite an appetite) I made a connection to this and the frequent headaches she was having. We decided to start packing lunch so we could choose what and how much they were having.
First I bought these soft sided coolers in the sports section at Walmart. They have a ton of room and are only $6!
Then I bought these Ziploc lunch containers from Amazon and, lucky for me, they just fit into the coolers.


Last I had to get a little crafty. I made these reusable snack bags from a pattern I found on Pinterest. (LOVE Pinterest)


The kids then helped me put together a list of lunches and snacks. The three lists are: the main dish, a healthy snach, and a treat. Now we have a list to refer to, especially when grocery shopping for lunch ingredients, and I know I'm giving them healthy foods and foods they like.
I choose from each list:

main dish:
  • sandwich 
  • taco
  • english muffin pizzas
  • casadia, with sour cream to dip
  • hot dog
  • chef salad 
  • sandwich sushi
  • corn dog muffins
  • PB & J (or PB and banana)
  • apple sandwich
  • hot thermos of soup or mac & cheese
  • grilled cheese 
  • meat and cheese roll ups
  • tortilla sandwich wrap
  • pasta salad
healthy snack (fruit/ veggie/ dairy):
  • sliced apple (treated with fruit fresh or lemon juice)
  • yogurt
  • whole banana
  • sliced kiwi
  • cubed watermelon/ cantaloupe, or honeydew 
  • baby carrots
  • cucumber, bell pepper, carrot sticks, with dressing to dip
  • side salad
  • celery sticks w/ peanut butter
  • hard boiled egg
  • pickle
  • grapes
  • nuts
  • apple sauce
  • fruit leathers (home made)
  • cherry tomatoes
treats:
  • potato chips
  • pretzels
  • granola bar
  • cookie
  • fruit & grain bar
  • pop corn
  • crackers
  • Cheez-Itz
  • salsa & corn chips
  • muffin
  • fig bars
  • apple cake
  • graham crackers
  • cracker/ cheese/ pepperoni
  • zucchini bread
  • jello
  • pudding

casadias w/ sour cream, 1/2 a banana, pudding,
and crackers w/ pepperoni and cheese.
ham & cheese sandwich, carrot sticks, jello, and pasta salad

left: cherry tomatoes, apple cinnamon chips, granola bar, ham & salami sandwich, snack size M & Ms
right: cherry tomatoes, apple cinnamon chips, chef salad, and snack size twix

pizza,  bell peppers, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, 1/2 a jam filled
muffin, and apple slices (treated with Fruit Fresh)

Now my kids love their lunches. My son doesn't want to buy lunch anymore and my daughter is no longer having headaches! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Carrot